Togocel (Togo Cellulaire) has been given the green light to conduct full-scale 5G trials using live network equipment, under real world conditions.
The move was announced via the Togolese government portal Republique. Togocel is the first operator in the country to be cleared for 5G testing, and will begin the trials next year.
The operator launched its 4G network two years ago as part of a seven-year €245 million modernisation initiative spearheaded by Agou Holding, the majority shareholder in Togocel’s parent firm Togocom Group.
Under the strategy, Togocel is aiming to become a regional digital leader, offering its subscribers internet speeds up to four times as fast as its current 4G network by 2025.
TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database pegs Togocel as the mobile market leader in Togo with around 3.4 million subscribers at end-September 2020, putting its market share at 52%. The market is an effective duopoly, with rival Moov Togo claiming the remaining 48%.
As noted by NextTV News Africa, several African countries have begun 5G trials, with Vodacom Lesotho the first operator in the continent to test the technology in 2018. Since then, Algeria, Tunisia and Senegal have all begun trials.